- 1 What is Plastic Packaging
- 2 What is Plastic Packaging Called
- 3 How are Plastic Packaging Boxes Made
- 4 How Much Does Plastic Packaging Boxes Cost
- 5 How to Recycle Plastic Packaging Materials
- 6 Where to Buy Plastic Packaging Boxes
- 7 Why Does My Cat Like Plastic Packaging
- 8 What Plastic is Used for Blister Packaging
- 9 What Type of Plastic is Food Packaging Made From
- 10 Why is Plastic Packaging Bad for the Environment?
- 11 How to Reseal Plastic Packaging
- 12 How do You Recycle Plastic Water Bottle Packaging?
- 13 How to Open Plastic Packaging
What is Plastic Packaging
Plastic is one of the most used materials for packaging products worldwide. It is cost-effective and provides excellent protection to the packaged products. It is lightweight which makes it more convenient for transportation and reduces its carbon footprints too.
The plastic packaging industry was valued at $198 billion in 2017 and it is likely to reach $269.6 billion by the year 2025. The food and beverage industry will be the biggest driver for plastic packaging going ahead and is likely to grow at 4.2% annually.
Asia-Pacific is the largest market for plastic packaging followed by North America in the second spot. The current article provides answers to some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to plastic packaging.
What is Plastic Packaging Called
There are different types of plastics used for packaging purpose. Some of the most commonly used plastic polymers for packaging are as follows:
- High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) is the most commonly used plastic polymer for packaging. They have good toughness and barrier properties and are ideal for packaging a variety of products. It has good chemical resistance so it is used for packaging of industrial and chemical-based products.
- Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE) is known for its toughness, flexibility, and transparency. It is a popular choice for packaging where heat sealing is used.
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) is colorless and tough and is used for making beverage bottles and other injection molded packaging containers. It is odorless, chemical resistant, and has good barrier properties which make it an excellent choice for the packaging of food products.
- Polypropylene (PP) is a strong polymer with a high melting point which makes it ideal for packaging hot-fill liquids.
- Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) is cheap and has good chemical resistance. It is used for blister packaging and clamshells.
How are Plastic Packaging Boxes Made
The plastic packaging boxes are made using the latest and state-of-the-art production technology. Most manufacturers are now moving towards using the advanced and superior bonding technique for manufacturing plastic boxes instead of the traditional ultrasonic and interlocking tabs.
The manufacturing materials also being used these days are sustainable and eco-friendly, which do not pose any serious threat to the environment.
How Much Does Plastic Packaging Boxes Cost
Plastic packaging boxes are one of the cheapest and most effective packaging solutions available. They offer you cost-effectiveness along with good durability and barrier properties. If you buy in bulk then a typical plastic packaging box will cost you less than $0.50.
These packaging boxes can be easily assembled by folding along the soft fold lines. Using a plastic packaging cost can mean that your packaging cost can be reduced to nearly 15% of the total product cost.
How to Recycle Plastic Packaging Materials
Plastic packaging these days are totally recyclable which is a great improvement over the non-recyclable and non-biodegradable plastic packaging used earlier.
It is estimated that in 2016, nearly 90% of the US population was in a position to recycle plastic bottles and 60% can recycle rigid plastic materials.
Similarly, 45% of all the plastic packaging used in the UK was recycled in 2016. Plastic packaging materials can be recycled using mechanical recycling or by chemical recycling in which the plastic is further broken down into its constituent parts.
There are challenges and barriers to mechanical recycling of plastics as it is difficult and costly to collect, sort, and process plastic packaging for recycling.
This is where chemical recycling helps as it breaks down the longer molecular polymeric carbon chains into medium length carbon chains and into synthetic crude oil that can be used to make new plastics. Most plastic packaging bags and films are recycled into composite lumber.
Recycling is also cost-effective as it costs nearly $4,000 to recycle one ton of plastic packaging materials, while the selling price of it can be 2-3 times more than the recycling costs.
Where to Buy Plastic Packaging Boxes
You can buy plastic packaging boxes from a reputed and professional manufacturer. You need to do proper due diligence before finalizing the manufacturer as packaging is an important element of your product and you should ensure only the best quality packaging boxes for it.
You can start by identifying plastic packaging box manufacturers who make the type of plastic box which is best suited for your product. You should also check the minimum order quantity restrictions with them. If a manufacturer has a high minimum order barrier which is much more than your requirement, then it is better to look for other alternatives.
It is also important to assess the type of manufacturing infrastructure and capabilities possessed by the manufacturer. They should have the latest production equipment and should be able to meet the deadlines for production and supply of plastic packaging boxes.